Reverse Crunches work all of the muscle, with extra emphasis on the lower region. Secondary muscles include the obliques, which are the muscles on either side of the rectus abdominis, and the tranverse abdominis, the deepest of all abdominal muscles whose functions include stabilizing the spine and core.
- Lie back on a bench with your thighs perpendicular to the ground.
- Place your hands over your head and grab the edge of the bench.
- Forcefully contract your abs to lift your butt off the bench and your knees up above your chest.
- Hold this position for one or two seconds with a maximal ab contraction.
- Slowly lower back to the starting position until your butt is on the bench and your thighs are perpendicular to the ground.
- Always exhale as you contract (bend) and inhale as you release (go back to starting position) during the crunch.
- Move slowly and continuously as you do the crunch.