In the standard pushup, the following muscles are targeted:
- chest muscles, or pectorals.
- shoulders, or deltoids.
- back of your arms, or triceps.
- the “wing” muscles directly under your armpit, called the serratus anterior.
- Start in a plank position with your pelvis tucked in, your neck neutral, and your palms directly under your shoulders. Make sure your shoulders are rotated back and down, too.
- As you brace your core and keep your back flat, begin to lower your body by bending your elbows while keeping them pointed slightly back. Lower down until your chest grazes the floor.
- Immediately extend your elbows and push your body back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for as many reps as possible, for 3 sets.